Monday, November 9, 2009

Gunther von Hagens’ Body Worlds

For some reasons, I had missed the 1st exhibition held at the Singapore Expo in 2003. Making a comeback this year at a new venue - Singapore Science Centre, I certainly don't want to miss it. Ultimately, I made it together with my incredible yesterday.

What can I say ? The exhibition is a real eye-opener. It gives us an insight on the human life cycle and aging, starting from the little cells in one’s womb, to the rebellious stage, and finally, the peak of maturity and white-haired wisdom. I'm much tempted to drag my dad there and show him the plastinated smoker and non-smoker lungs, which are placed next to each other, demonstrating the startling contrast of a healthy, white non-smoker's lungs side-by-side the tarred smoker's lungs. Anyway, I'll bet that he would remain unfazed by all these.

Come back to the exhibition, being able to see the inner human body, muscle by muscle, organ by organ, some might find it terrifying, disgusting, or even bloody (though no actual dripping blood), but personally I find it fascinating. My incredible too. Most displays are artistically rendered. You could literally feel the strength and power of the muscles. I favor the sliced man on a sleigh attached to two reindeers the most. Pity that I couldn't find any decent photo to show you. No photography allowed in the exhibition.

Here are some beautiful photos I managed to find on the web.






If you do love to learn how the body works, how our body’s really look like under our skin, and how a normal human body would be like compared to a dysfunctional one, do visit the exhibition thru 6 March 2010. Tickets are at $21 for adults and $13 for children, including the admission to Science Center.

If you like, add another $8 for adults and $4 for children, do be sure to watch the 3D movie "Under the sea" as well. This visually stunning and colorful documentary will transport you to Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and Australia to explore some of the most intriguing creatures of our oceans. There are some really amazing scenes that I have never seen before, like this particular scene of may be hundreds of eels with their ends stuck in sand and their bodies sticking up and their mouths trying to feed on whatever that was adrift in the water. With the right background music, the pack is like performing a lovely choreographed snake dance. Eerie yet fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment