Monday, October 17, 2016

Dark Matter


"It's terrifying when you consider that every thought we have, every choice we could possibly make, creates a new world."

A sci-fi cum love story by Blake Crouch is an interesting read.

It makes me wanna ask questions like :
Am I really happy with my life?
What if I made different decisions in life?
What if I could live my choices I never made but wished I did?
What if I went left instead of right, back instead of front?

I know, a lot of what ifs. But I wholeheartedly agree what is said in the book "Life doesn't work that way. You live with your choices and learn. You don't cheat the system."

So true. Whatever choices you made, you simply can't go back but to move forward.

The stuff about the box and the multiverse and even the science are compelling.

Multiple realities is a long-standing trope within science fiction, and Crouch isn’t the first to play with the idea. It allows Crouch to muse on identity over the course of the book: the two Jasons are almost identical, but which is the real one? As Jason1 struggles to find his way home, he comes to terms with everything about his life that made it his, flaws and all. What makes him him, and can an alternate Jason successfully take his place?

The scary part is towards the end of the story, there were over 72 Jasons - split after Jason1 stepped inside the box but made different choices - managed to find their way home.  For his wife Daniela, she could say the first impostor Jason2 who had decided to leave her to pursue his work 15 years ago was not him, how about these 72 Jasons that shared the same life till the very day Jason1 was abducted by Jason2? They love her and their child Charlie the same.  How she differentiate which Jason was real?  She couldn't, in theory.  So the Jason she sticked with was the first one that came to her rescue, the one that had shared the shocking truth, the reunion and some crazy moments during their escape barely 48 hours before the rest found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment