Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Book Sort


How I wish I could visit this current exhibition (1- 30 May 2009) of 25 large photographs by Teresa Rae, a Wenatchee artist, at North Bank Artists Gallery in Vancouver.   As part of her “Parts of a Woman” art documentary project, “Book Sort” represents one portion of the artist’s process to rebuild her identity through unpacking and re-shelving her library after a move.

Artist statement :

Everyone has their own way of finding answers. I had to rebuild my world through sorting and solitude. Book Sort documents four days of living with my books as they transitioned from storage to shelves in my home. Because these books have contributed so much to my identity, I needed to re-bond with them en masse and give myself a sacred time and place to rediscover them individually, in order to decide which ones would remain with me. As an artist, I gave myself permission to step away from conventional methods and experience this transition in my own personal way, without judgment or parameters. I let the project evolve according to its own needs. The camera allows me to be "in the moment" and build my own context. The quietness of the barn, an hour from town--on the hillside by the river, the closeness to nature, time to think and be, personal time with idea people and their books--gave me room to grow and become myself. I am building my life by my choices.



Rae’s personal story of spending time at a historic barn along the Columbia River sorting, learning and writing, including photos from “Book Sort,” will be published in her upcoming book, “A Celibate Year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment